Skip to main content
Create interactive lessons using any digital content including wikis with our free sister product
. Get it on the
Pages and Files
All About Pan
demeter and persephone myth
Fates, Furies, and Graces
Greek Monsters and Mythical Creatures
Greek Mythology in Popular Culture
Greek Myths Including Hera
Other Greek Gods
Penelope and Telemachus
Popular Greek Myths
The Iliad, Epic Poem told by Homer
The Odyssey - Circe
The Odyssey - Polyphemus
The Odyssey - The Laestrygones
The Odyssey - The Lotus Eaters
The Odyssey - Underworld
The Odyssey- Cattle of Helios
The Trojan Horse
- She was a daughter of
and Metis (daughter of the Ocean). Zeus was warned by Earth that a son that is born by Metis will over throw him like he did to his father, so Metis was then swallowed by Zeus. After, Zeus had a very bad headache, so he called upon
to help him. So Hephaestus cracked Zeus's head open, and Athena came out fully dressed and fully grown. Her uncles are
. She has many brothers and sisters. She has mostly half brothers and sisters though because, her father Zeus had many affairs with many mortal and immortal women, an had many children with them. For example, one of her half- brothers is
- owl and the aegus ( a shield with picture of
's head on it.)
Special abilities/ responsibilities
- Goddess of battle, arts, crafts, weaving, wisdom... She has to help craftsmen, be wise, and lead others to battle.
Episode from Athena's life that illustrates her unique characteristics
- In Jason and the Argonauts, Athena gives them a magic prow for the boat. This magical prow could speak in a human voice and would tell them what was coming up. This expresses her wisdom in knowing. She used to help other people with weaving and other crafts. This expresses her knowledge of art.
Other facts on Athena
1. Athena was said to have invented the chariot and the flute.
2. She lives on
, where 12 other Gods live.
3. She is the main patron for the Athens. They used to worship her, and even named their civilization after her in her honor.
4. The Ancient Greeks gave credit to Athena for inventing the 27 letters of the alphabet. There were 3 symbols that got lost though.
5. Athena is said to be Zeus's favorite child.
that she's in
1.Medusa used to be a maiden, but Athena changed her into a monster and ordered
to kill it by cutting her head off. When Medusa's head was cut off,
sprang from her.
2.Athena was also in the
Myth, in which Arachne made Athena mad because her weaving skills were better than herself. So she replaced Arachne's confidence with guilt. Eventually, Arachne hung herself, but Athena felt bad so brought her back, except as a spider this time.
3.Athena is in another myth called the
. She helps Odysseus get back to Greece.
4.Athena and her Uncle Poseidon were both very fond of Greece, and they both claimed it as theirs. They fought for a very long time, but they eventually decided who ever gave the best gift, won the city. Poseidon struck a cliff with his trident , and a salt- water spring sprang from the rocks. The citizens thought it was beautiful, but also thought it wasn't very useful. Athena planted an olive tree, a plant the people have never seen before. Athena won because th olive tree gave food, wood, and oil. So she sat on top of the Acropolis, and watched over her city, the Athens. Under her leadership, they became famous for their arts in weaving and other crafts.
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"